Short Sangaste history
The place name „Sangaste“ can be dated to a manor founded in 1287 (Sagnitz, but also Sangnic and Sangenitz) that was initially situated at the Harimägi hill. At the beginning of the 16th century Sangaste is said to be the summer residence of Tartu bishop in Old Livonia. Under the Polish rule at the turn of 16th-17th centuries Sangaste was made into royal manor. Under the Swedish rule in the second half of the 17th century 8 neighbouring manors were merged with Sangaste.
In 1808, viagra sale a court councillor Friedrich Georg von Berg (1763-1811) bought Sangaste manor. Von Berg was married to the baroness Gertrude Agnes Wilhelmine von Ermes whose roots were in the Ergeme region of today’s Latvia. As they had no children, F.G. von Berg adopted his brother Gustav’s sons, providing them with the best education, title of counts and – to the favorite nephew Friedrich Georg Magnus – 16 manors in Estonia, Latvia, Finland and Poland.
The Rye Count
The most famous member of the family was namely Friedrich Georg Magnus von Berg (1845 – 1938) who in 1881 built the Sangaste castle that remains until this day one of South Estonia’s main attractions. The key accomplishment of the legenday Count von Berg was the cultivation of „Sangaste“ rye variety that is now the oldest rye variety still used in agriculture. Inventions and innovations of Count von Berg were by far not limited with rye but included agricultural technology, horse-breeding and many more areas.
During the pre-WWII Republic of Estonia, Sangaste parish initially belonged to Tartu County but after 1920 was merged with Valga County. Soon after the passing of Count von Berg (1938) a cultivation station was set up on the territory of Sangaste manor that continues operating during the Soviet years. The first collective farm (kolhoz) was established in Sangaste in 1948. In 1991, Sangaste rural municipality was formed. The collective farm closed down in 1994.